Columbus Child Support Lawyer

Ensuring That Parents Take Responsibility For Their Children

Ohio state law requires that each parent take financial responsibility for his or her children. Whether you are dealing with child support issues because of a divorce or you are a non-married co-parent, you need an experienced attorney to help you figure out how much child support payments will be and how they will affect your bottom line.

Protecting your rights and the rights of your children are paramount at Heagerty & Associates. We understand how frustrating any family law issue can be and will help you ensure that you are not taken advantage of by your spouse or co-parent, but also make sure your children have their needs adequately met. Patrick J. Heagerty has helped many people in Columbus and the surrounding areas with child support issues and knows how to navigate the court system to help you achieve your goals.

How Is Child Support Calculated?

Each parent's gross income is put into a formula to determine how much the noncustodial parent should pay the custodial parent each month. There are certain exemptions to gross income, such as local income tax paid by each of you, income from certain federal programs and child support or spousal support from a former marriage or obligation. Other factors include which parent pays for the cost of day care and health care for the child, as well as extraordinary medical expenses.

While these guidelines are standardized, there is a certain amount of flexibility that you and your spouse or co-parent can agree upon if the two of you come to a suitable agreement. However, you will need a lawyer to draft the documents and ensure that the family courts are willing to accept your child support proposal.

We work with you and your spouse or co-parent to negotiate a fair agreement that will ensure your children are taken care of but will also protect your rights and interests. We can also help you if you need a modification of your child support agreement or if you need to request an enforcement of court orders because your spouse or co-parent is not abiding by your agreement.